Sport Level 3 Applied
If you’re an enthusiastic fan of sport, whether that be through participating, coaching, volunteering or spectating, this is the course for you! By the end of this course you will have the confidence to plan and lead sport and exercise in practical settings, enhanced communication skills and a range of transferable skills suitable for any career path.
This course is available to study as an:
- Extended Certificate (60-credit course, equivalent to 1 A Level)
- Diploma (120-credit course, equivalent to 2 A Levels)
- Extended Diploma (180-credit course, equivalent to 3 A Levels)
The Extended Certificate comprises two exams, Anatomy & Physiology and Sports Development, and coursework based units on sports coaching, sports injuries & rehabilitation, and organising sports events. The Diploma & Extended Diplomas are entirely coursework assessed and aimed at those looking for a career within the sports and health sectors. To prepare you for progression in this field, you will study a diverse range of topics including Anatomy & Physiology, Sports Nutrition, Sports Coaching, Sports Psychology, Practical Team Sports, Applied Exercise Physiology, and Training & Fitness.
There is a significant and stringent written coursework component in all three Sport qualification options. You will be expected to develop good organisational skills, and be prepared to work independently on coursework tasks alongside the class-based learning.
We work closely with senior staff at Cambridge United FC to deliver career workshops and have strong links with ARU Sports & Exercise Science Department who regularly host progression days designed for our students. We attend trips such as the recent strength & conditioning day at St George’s Park and walking on the Tottenham Hotspur Stadium roof!
Year 1 Modules
- Principles of Anatomy & Physiology in Sport (Extended Certificate, Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Sports Injuries & Rehabilitation (Extended Certificate)
- Organisation of Sports Events (Extended Certificate)
- Sports Coaching (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Current Issues in Sport (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- The Physiology of Fitness (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Sports Nutrition (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Sports Psychology (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Practical Team Sports (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Analysis of Sports Performance (Extended Diploma)
- Outdoor Education and Adventurous Activities (Extended Diploma)
Year 2 Modules
- Sports Coaching (Extended Certificate)
- Sports Organisation & Development (Extended Certificate)
- Applied Exercise Physiology (Diploma)
- Technical & Tactical Skills (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Instructing Physical Activity & Exercise (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Sports Injuries & Rehabilitation (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Organising Sports Events (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Fitness Testing for Sport (Diploma, Extended Diploma)
- Applied Exercise Physiology (Extended Diploma)
- Leadership in Sport (Extended Diploma)
- Athletes' Lifestyle (Extended Diploma)
- Training Fitness & Programming (Extended Diploma)
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Five GCSEs at Grade 4 including:
- Grade 4 in GCSE English Language or GCSE English Literature
- Grade 4 in GCSE PE or Merit in Level 2 Sport if taken
Assessment - Extended Certificate
- 42% Exam
- 58% Coursework
- Exam Board: OCR
Assessment - Diploma
- 100% Coursework
- Exam Board: OCR
Assessment - Extended Diploma
- 100% Coursework
- Exam Board: OCR
Average class size
Why choose this course?
You will enjoy this course if you have a passion for sport, are involved in sport in some way already and see a future career or university related pathway in a sports related field.
Successful students on our course have a natural enthusiasm for sport and tend to consume sport in their own time whether that be through participating, coaching, volunteering or spectating.
This qualification will incorporate a wide array of supplementary opportunities designed to broaden the experience and help students understand and develop a clear vision of the options and progression routes available in the sports industry. The course has exceptionally strong links with our alumni and annually invite 20-30 ex-students back in to discuss their post Long Road journey in sport.
We work closely with senior staff at Cambridge United FC to deliver sports career and employment workshops and have developed links with ARU Sports & Exercise Science Department who regularly invite our students in for bespoke university progression days. We attend trips such as the recent strength & conditioning day at St George’s Park and Tottenham Hotspur Stadium to tour the facilities and walk on the stadium roof!
Skills you'll gain
This course will provide learners with a wide range of skills, knowledge and understanding required to progress into sports related careers and Higher Education courses.
Leaners will develop the confidence to plan and lead sport and exercise in practical settings, they will enhance their communication and organisational skills whilst also developing a range of academic skills such as conducting research, referencing, assignment layout and structure and managing course deadlines.
After Long Road
Approximately 50% of our students successfully make the transition to University across a range of sports-related courses including:
- Sports Science
- Sports Coaching & Teaching
- Sports Therapy & Physiotherapy
- Sports Marketing & Business
- Bespoke routes like Golf Course Management!
Popular universities for our students include the University of East Anglia (UEA) Anglia Ruskin University (ARU), Birmingham University, Durham University, Leeds Beckett University and many more.
Our students also frequently progress into sports related careers in coaching, fitness, teaching, management and healthcare through organisations such as Norwich City FC, Cambridge United FC, Peterborough FC, Cambridge Rugby Club, David Lloyd Leisure, local primary and secondary schools, the NHS.
The Sports teachers were so supportive throughout the pandemic and kept lessons fun and interesting even when we were remote learning. This course has enabled me to get grades I never thought I could achieve, I can’t thank my teachers enough for all the help they have given me.