Foundation Art & Design Level 4
This one-year Level 4 qualification is an exciting fast-paced course, set up for creative students to develop a bespoke portfolio. The delivery includes twilight sessions enabling students to fully use the technology and equipment in our purpose built studios.
This course offers international trips to locations such as New York, and gives students the opportunity to learn industry skills and develop high levels of professionalism.
The programme builds on your prior experience, linking skills already acquired with ideas and challenges, which will increase your independence and enable you to demonstrate a full understanding of the relevant standards necessary to progress to Higher Education or to an alternative career path.
- Diagnostic Investigation: develop your ability to challenge preconceptions and to analyse, reflect and extend your skills in using materials, techniques and processes.
- Developing Specialist Practice: allows you to select an area of specialism and complete a series of projects relevant to your progression choice.
- Consolidating Practice: requires you to undertake a final major project and produce a body of work for final assessment and exhibition in an end of year show.
Minimum Entry Requirements
Applicants should meet the following entry qualifications:
- To successfully complete a full study programme of 3 A-Level courses (or equivalent)
- A creative A Level with a minimum grade B, or a Level 3 Diploma in Art, Graphic Design or Photography, Extended Certificate, M Diploma MM or Extended Diploma DMM
- GCSE English and Mathematics
- A portfolio of work must also be submitted prior to interview which demonstrates evidence of having achieved a standard which will enable you to benefit from the course.
- 100% Coursework
- Exam Board: UAL
Average class size
Why choose this course?
Dedicated and creative thinking students will get the most out of this course. The course is fortified through use of critics, tutorials and peer feedback. This course is perfect for the hardworking student that wishes to expand their creativity and develop a specialist portfolio.
Students recently travelled to New York, where viewing exhibitions at the Climate Control Museum in Manhattan allowed students to put into practice and explain their creative vision while presenting their work in pop up form in the gallery space. We also ran a London based residential to supports the understanding of gathering primary resources to support own creative outputs and specialist practice, as well as the opportunity to learn industry skills and develop high levels of professionalism. Students were put in touch with industry specialists through talks and tuition.
Skills you'll gain
The programme builds on students' prior experience, linking skills already acquired with ideas and challenges, which will increase their independence and enable them to demonstrate a full understanding of the relevant standards necessary to progress to Higher Education - or to an alternative career path.
After Long Road
Some graduates have won London based internships from opportunities attached to the course and have progressed on to a range of exciting routes. Others have gained places at leading Universities such as UAL, Goldsmiths, Glasgow, Nottingham Trent, Brighton and overseas, furthering their creative education.
The Level Four Foundation in Art and Design has been exciting because it’s so fast-paced; it has opened my eyes to a lot more creative options and pathways than I initially considered. I am now going on to study BA Fashion at Central Saint Martin's College of Art and Design!