Applied Science Level 3
Our Applied Science course is designed for students who are interested in learning about Science alongside other fields of study, with a view to progressing to a wide range of higher education courses.
This course is available to study as either an:
- Extended Certificate (60-credit course, equivalent to 1 A Level)
- Diploma (120-credit course, equivalent to 2 A Levels)
On both of our Applied Science Level 3 courses, throughout the 2-years, you will study:
- Principals and Applications of Science
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques
- Science Investigation Skills, and Physiology of the Human Body
If you are looking to build a study programme with a strong core of scientific study, or are looking to progress to higher education or a career in the STEM industry, then our Level 3 Applied Science Diploma may be the course for you! In addition to the topics studied on the Extended Certificate, the larger Diploma qualification allows you the opportunity to either give breadth to your study by choosing a contrasting subject, or to give your studies more focus by choosing a complementary subject.
Year 1 Modules
- Principles and Applications of Science I (Extended Certificate & Diploma)
- Practical Scientific Procedures and Techniques (Extended Certificate & Diploma)
- Principles and Applications of Science II (Diploma)
- Physiology of Human Body Systems (Diploma)
Year 2 Modules
- Science Investigation Skills (Extended Certificate & Diploma)
- Laboratory Techniques and their Application (Diploma)
- Investigative Project (Diploma)
- Physiology of Human Body Systems (Extended Certificate)
- Industrial Chemical Reactions (Diploma)
Minimum Entry Requirements
- Five GCSEs at Grade 4 including:
- Grade 4 in GCSE English Language
- Grade 5 in GCSE Maths
- Grade 5 in 2 GCSE Sciences or GCSE Double Science
Assessment - Extended Certificate
- 58% Exam
- 42% Coursework
- Exam Board: Pearson
Assessment - Diploma
- 45% Exam
- 55% Coursework
- Exam Board: Pearson
Exam Results 2022:
- Extended Certificate: 22% D* - D
- Diploma: 29% D*D*D* - DDD
Average class size
Why choose this course?
You will enjoy this course if you have a talent, passion or curiosity for Science and want a career in a STEM-related field.
Diploma students get the opportunity to work with Career Ready, a national social mobility charity, which offer a series of skill masterclasses, industrial visits to local employers such as Astra Zeneca, NHS Addenbrookes, Suez Waste Management and EDF Energy, a mentor from the world of work, work placement opportunities and paid internships
Skills you'll gain
Employability skills: Communicating, working collaboratively, negotiating and influencing, self-presentation, self-management, adaptability and resilience, self-monitoring and development, using critical thinking, approaching non-routine problems, applying expert and creative solutions, using systems and technology.
Transferable knowledge and skills for higher education: ability to learn independently, ability to research actively and methodically, being able to give presentations and being active group members, reading scientific and technical texts, effective writers, analytical & practical skills, preparation for assessment methods used in degrees.
After Long Road
Students have gone onto a variety of University courses such as:
- Biomedical Science
- Forensic Science
- Mechanical Engineering
- Sports Science
- Sports Therapy
or apprenticeships such as...
- Lab Science
I chose to study at Long Road because it has a friendly working atmosphere. I took the Applied Science Extended Certificate because I wanted to study forensic science. This will help me to pursue my career in radiography