Your guide to getting exam results 2022
If you think your results are wrong...
The review and appeals process is carried out by exam boards – there are different options, and different costs. All boards must follow the JCQ guidance.
- The college must contact the boards on your behalf.
- All requests must be emailed to email@example.com
- You must pay the fees via the Exams Shop before we will submit your request.
Information on the different types of post-results services available can be found below.
Clerical check, reviews and appeals
- Click here to download Form A – Clerical re-check, reviews of marking and appeals
- This can be a priority or non-priority request.
- Fees apply for each service and differ for each exam board. (approx. £10 for a script, £40- £60 for reviews and checks, depending on priority)
- There is no option to re-mark scripts and get a ‘second opinion’
Service 1: Clerical Check
- Makes sure no pages were missed by the marker, and that marks were added up correctly and recorded properly.
- Request Deadline: 28th September (college deadline)
Service 2: Review of Marking
- This is a post-results review of the original marking to ensure that the mark scheme has been applied correctly. Grades can stay the same, or go up, or go down.
- A marking error can occur because of:
- an administrative error;
- a failure to apply the mark scheme where a task has only a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answer;
- an unreasonable exercise of academic judgement.
- Reviewers will not re-mark the script. They will only act to correct any errors identified in the original marking.
- Priority service request deadline – 24th August (college)
- Final request deadline – 28th September (college)
Appeals and Complaints
- An appeal can only be made AFTER a Review of Marking and can only be made by the Principal directly to the awarding organisation (Exam Board). The college would have to clearly state the grounds for appeal.
- If you are still unhappy following a Review of Marking, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you to assess if we would support a further appeal.
- If there are other concerns relating to the exams that you are unhappy about, please contact the Vice Principal, Steve Dann at email@example.com in the first instance.
- The formal complaints' policy can be found on the college website.
Access to exam scripts (ATS)
- Click here to download Form B – Access to Scripts
- Get your papers back from the exam board.
- The college may want to see some student scripts if we think there is a problem with marking – usually if a subject’s results are much worse than we expected. We will get your consent to do this.
- We may decide to ask for a Review of Results for all candidates in a subject.
- A Review of Results can cause grades to be moved up or down.
- We may want to see some scripts for training purposes – to see where the gaps in knowledge were in order to put more time into those sections of the course for new students.
- In both these cases, we will ask students for permission to use the scripts and get consent.