Your guide to getting exam results 2023.
If you think your results are wrong...
- The review and appeals process is carried out by exam boards – there are different options, and different costs. All boards must follow the JCQ guidance.
- The college must contact the board on your behalf.
- All requests must be emailed to email@example.com
- You must pay the fees via the Exams Shop before we will submit your request. Information on the different types of post-results services available can be found below.
Clerical check, reviews and appeals.
- This can be a priority or non-priority request.
- Fees apply for each service and differ for each exam board. (approx. £10 for a script, £50- £6 per paper/unit for reviews and checks, depending on priority)
- There is no option to re-mark scripts and get a ‘second opinion'.
Service 1: Clerical Check
- Makes sure no pages were missed by the marker, and that marks were added up correctly and recorded properly.
- Note: We will not process clerical check requests without a signed JCQ consent form.
Service 2: Review of Marking
- This is a post-results review of the original marking to ensure that the mark scheme has been applied correctly. Grades can stay the same, or go up, or go down. A marking error can occur because of:
- an administrative error.
- a failure to apply the mark scheme where a task has only a ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ answer,
- an unreasonable exercise of academic judgement.
- Reviewers will not re-mark the script. They will only act to correct any errors identified in the original marking.
- Access to Scripts priority deadline 29th August 2023
- Review of Results – Clerical Re-check - deadline 22nd September 2023
- Non-Priority Review of Marking deadline 22nd September 2023
- Access to Scripts non-priority deadline 22nd September 2023
Note: We will not process any priority/non priority ROM requests without a signed JCQ consent form.
Appeals and Complaints
An appeal can only be made AFTER a Review of Marking and can only be made by the Principal directly to the awarding organisation (Exam Board). The college would have to clearly state the grounds for appeal.
If you are still unhappy following a Review of Marking, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org and we will contact you to assess if we would support a further appeal.
If there are other concerns relating to the exams that you are unhappy about, please contact the Vice Principal, Steve Dann at email@example.com in the first instance. The formal complaints' policy can be found on the college website.
Access to exam scripts (ATS)
If you would like to get your papers back from the exam board please send an ATS request to firstname.lastname@example.org along with JCQ ATS signed form.
The college may want to see some student scripts if we think there is a problem with marking – usually if a subject’s results are much worse than we expected. We will get your consent to do this.
- We may decide to ask for a Review of Results for all candidates in a subject.
- A Review of Results can cause grades to be moved up or down.
- We may want to see some scripts for training purposes – to see where the gaps in knowledge were in order to put more time into those sections of the course for new students.
- In both these cases, we will ask students for permission to use the scripts and get consent.
Note: We will not process any ATS request without a signed JCQ consent form.