Long Road students and staff are today celebrating an excellent set of results on A Level and Applied qualifications.Overall, students achieved a pass rate of 96% A*-E on A level qualifications, with 66% of grades at A*-C. There was a pass rate of 100% on our 18 unit Level 3 Applied qualifications (equivalent to 3 A levels) for the third consecutive year and a pass rate of 96.4% on our 12 unit Level 3 Applied qualifications (equivalent to 2 A levels), with 63.2% of students on the Level 3 Applied Business and 55.6% of students on the Level 3 Applied Travel & Tourism certificate achieving distinction grades.
Across the 35 A level subjects offered at the College, pass rates were at 100% in 16 subjects and above 95% in 11. Amongst the most outstanding successes on the A level programme were the following:
- In A level Performance Studies 100% of students achieved Grades A*-C, with 37.5% achieving an A* grade, an exceptional level of achievement
- In A level Travel & Tourism 100% of students achieved Grades A*-C, with 36.4% achieving A*-B grades
- In A level Art, 100% of students achieved Grades A*-E with 77.4% achieving Grades A*-B and an amazing 94.1% achieving Grades A*-C. 11.9% of students achieved an A* grade.
- In A level Film Studies, 100% of students achieved Grades A*-E, with 88.4% achieving Grades A*-C and 44.2% achieving Grades A*-B
- In A level History, 100% of students achieved Grades A*-E, with 84.6% achieving Grades A*-C and 40.8% achieving Grades A*-B
It is also pleasing that “value added” indicators have improved, that is, a higher proportion of students have achieved grades higher than might have been expected from their GCSE grades than in 11/12.
Principal Chris Sherwin said:
“Once again we are delighted with the high standards achieved by students on our A level and Applied qualifications. I and the rest of the senior management team offer them our congratulations that their hard work has been rewarded. Many thanks also to our staff, whose dedicated support and skilled teaching underpin this high performance. We wish our former students every success in their further studies and careers. We hope they leave with very fond memories of their time at the College, and that they will keep in touch and return to inspire the students who follow them.”