01223 631100

In This Section ▾

Latest Updates:

Long Road vs Hills Road: 3-1 WIN

Posted on

Match report completed by student and player Izaak Darvill.

Kicking off the second half season against Hills Road, Long Road went into the game with familiar faces, but with the additions of defensive player Jack England who returned from injury and promoted goalkeeper Dechlan Linney. Even after the long Christmas break Long Road were able to pick up their usual passing game pretty quickly. However the first half proved to be a competitive half, but with neither team really threatening to take the lead.

With some quick passing play Long did come close at times with Josh Lewis hitting the side netting and Jasper Bridges sending the ball over the bar from close range. On a defensive front both teams were fairly solid, with Hills finding some joy with a long ball over the top forcing the Long Road back four to face their own goal. Whereas, Long were able to pass the ball swiftly from side to side around the 18 yard box trying to create spaces, however the Hills defence remained solid as a unit. After winning the ball back in their half, Hills were able to counter attack, avoiding the first challenge from vice skipper Harry Harding, the Hills player then ran on to the edge of the 18 yard box, only to fouled by Long Road captain Josh Lewis. The free kick came to know prevail. Another fast paced attack after a mix up in the centre of the pitch by Long Road saw Harry Harding again attempt a last ditch challenge, ultimately, leading to a foul and his name in the book, after being shown a yellow card. This would be the last mentionable highlight of the first half, finishing 0-0.

Going into the second half, it again began very equal. However, after Long made progress down the right wing with the ball it was crossed in low, picking out Harry Fowler, who slotted in from close range into the bottom corner. Going 1-0 up gave Long Road some extra confidence that lead to some excellent passing football and a slight edge in control of the game in their favour. This was once again boosted, when Long were awarded a free kick in the middle third of the pitch. The result, Long Road going 2-0 up, after an emphatic ball from right back George Gillies, reached its way to the far post where Harry Harding was able to slide in and send the ball trickling over the line.

The second goal however, seemed to wake Hills up leading them to applying pressure high up the pitch and winning several set pieces. But, a little bit of luck from an aerial ball was to be their way back into the game. After the Long road defence attempted to clear the ball, it bounced off the Hills road striker who managed to get past several players and slot the ball into the top corner of the goal. Making it 2-1, Long Road had to stand strong as a unit for a few minutes as Hills pressed well. However, with under 10 minutes to go, Long road showed off their capabilities, through a quick passing move ending in Jasper Bridges scoring the third of the game. The goal came after a one two between Ben Tait and Harry Fowler, with the latter then sliding the ball through to a wide open Jasper.

The games finished 3-1. Making sure Long Road continued their unbeaten run in the college league and ensuring they still haven’t dropped a point all season.