Our Level 3 Applied Diplomas are equivalent to A levels and will enable you to apply to university in the same way. They are also a fantastic route into apprenticeships and employment. These Diplomas offer a more vocational approach, with greater links to related companies and organisations, and in some cases the possibility of work experience.
There is more coursework and a reduced examined component compared with A levels. Entry requirements are different from A levels: you need five GCSEs at Grade 4 or above, or a Merit grade in an OCR or BTEC Certificate in a related area (6-credit qualification), including Grade 4 English. If you don’t have a 4 in Maths, you will need to retake it when you start at Long Road. (Computing and Applied Science Diplomas have slightly higher entry requirements.)
What’s great about our Diplomas is that you can mix and match them with other Diplomas, or, if you achieve seven GCSEs at Grade 4 or above including Maths and English, with A levels.
What’s more: some of our Diplomas can be taken as single, double or even triple subjects.
You can take Sport as a single Diploma (worth one A level), a double Diploma (worth two A levels) or a triple Diploma (worth three A levels). Here’s how some of our current Year 1 students have mixed and matched to make their programme of three courses:
- Sport Level 3 single Diploma, Applied Science Level 3 single Diploma and Biology A level
- Sport Level 3 single Diploma, Criminology Level 3 single Diploma and Sociology A level
- Sport Level 3 single Diploma, Photography Level 3 single Diploma and Media Level 3 single Diploma
- Sport Level 3 single Diploma and Business Level 3 double Diploma
- Sport Level 3 single Diploma, Business Level 3 single Diploma and Design Technology A level
- Sport Level 3 double Diploma and Business Level 3 single Diploma
- Sport Level 3 double Diploma and English Language A level
- Sport Level 3 double Diploma and Drama A level
- Sport Level 3 double Diploma and Photography A level
- Sport Level 3 double Diploma and Media Level 3 single Diploma
- Sport Level 3 double Diploma and Psychology A level
- Sport Level 3 triple Diploma
Watch two of our students talking about Sport and their other subjects:
It’s easy to see what an exciting range of careers these course combinations could enable our students to follow.
There are loads of other combinations students could take to pursue their careers: Sport and Art, Sport and Maths, Sport and Physics – if you’re qualified, the choice is yours!
We also offer PE A level, also excellent for sport-minded students, but which investigates the theoretical aspects of the course in more depth.
See below for more information about both subjects.